Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP RELAY from internal ip fails 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRezz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2002
US
I am having a problem relaying mail from a third party smtp client ie. modzilla. the error I receive is(((( The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'ANYTHING@yahoo.com'. Subject '', Account: '192.XXX.XXX.XX', Server: '192.XXX.XXX.XX', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 Relay rejected for policy reasons.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79.

I can send email internal but when ever I try to send to an external email address it fails.

I have looked at the smtp restrictions and i do not see anything that will prevent this

Please help

Hey John,

I'm having a very similar experience. In turning off the servers out of the box open relay, my pop clients won't work correctly. Spent yet another day of unbillable time on it. Friday, I'll hopefully have a solution to it. If someone could point out a similar config where we set up both a secure server for no relaying and still retain pop availability it would be appreciated. If not, I'll try to post back on Friday, and let you know the solution. Thanks guys if anyone out there can provide the config.

BL

I'm not sure if we're working on the same type issue. My problem was having a remote client and not being able to authenticate the user to send mail. That option is not available with R5. It is an option with R6. Key is to keep relaying turned off (so no one can use your box for spamming) and use the isp you connect to the internet with to send smtp mail through them. If your problem is with sending mail outside your server you might want to try deleting your config (this is what I did with Lotus Support) and then shut down the relaying to only let internal users send external. In retrospect I should have made screenshots to have the config handy. If you need me to get the config for you leave a message and I'll go through the test box I have at work and see if I can post it for you.

BL

Try adding your email address to the "Allow messages only from the following Internet addresses to be sent to the Internet:" under the SMTP Outbound Controls.

Also

Try adding your Static IP address and domain name to the "Allow messages only from the following external internet hosts to be sent to external internet domains:" do not forget to up Ip addresses in [].

BH2 "Act before there is a problem. Bring order before there is disorder."
~The Tao Te Ching

To stop all relaying AND let pop3 work and selected hosts relay:

1. In your configuration document under Router/SMTP tab, Restrictions and Controls tab, SMTP Inbound Controls tab, place an asteriks (*) in "Deny messages form external internt domains to be sent to the following internet domains" and "Deny messages from the following external internet hosts to be sent to external internet domains"
This will prevent all relaying.

2. In your Global Domain document: under Conversions tab, in the Alternate Internet domain aliases" field place the host names that you want to allow to relay. (i.e., HOST1, HOST2, hosta.domain.com) This will also let your POP3 clients work.

If my domaine is domain.com can I add an entry that allows *.domain.com or can I make an entry that uses the ip like add 192.168.111.0/24 ???

According to the documentation I've seen, a wildcard will not work. I believe there was an enhancement request for that, but don't know the status. You can always try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back