Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP queue clogged up with messages - how do I cancel? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashgordon

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
GB
Hi all

We use EXchange server 2003 and we have a load of outgoing messages that we have sent and they have attachments so the message size and number of messages seems to be overloading the exchange server. Most messages are in the 'retry' state so I assume that means they are currently not active, and therefore shouldn't be using up any bandwidth. The problem we are having is that the exchange server and our internet connection are very slow, I assume because of these messages.
I have 2 questions:-
1. How do I cancel these messages from the outgoing queues so that I can get things back to normal. (An article from microsoft says you can do it but it didn't say how!)
2. How do I stop a mass mailing from clogging up our server and internet connection? I was told to use a 'smart host' in the SMTP virtual server settings which I have done but it has made no difference.

Any comments appreciated, thanks.
Andy.

Open up systems manager, Drill down through administrative group, first admin group, server, mail, queue. Double-click the queue that is giving the problem, click find messages. Select all, right click and "delete with no NDR

Thanks for the reply cj7owner. I actually found out myself before your post. Thanks anyway.

I managed to find another thread that was helpful, regarding smart hosts.
The address of your smart host should go in the connector as well as the SMTP virtual server properties. - On the general tab of the connector properties, "forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts". This seems to have done the trick - now there is just one queue active with all my messages, rather than hundreds of active queues.

Hopefully this thread will be helpful to other readers.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back