Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Question on W2K3

Status
Not open for further replies.

grippy

Programmer
Dec 2, 2004
US
Hello all, I am currently using the basic built in Windows POP3 service for my emails. And I am just using my ISP's SMTP server to send mail. It is all working fine but when I go on vacation I can not send mail since I am not on my ISP's SMTP anymore. Is there anyway for me to setup my own SMTP on my server which allows me to use it from anywhere as long as I use my example.com email addresses to login?

IIS in Windows 2003 also has an SMTP server. You can use that to relay email for you when away from home.

I have the SMTP Server installed and setup on my dedicated server but I cant get it to work. Right now I have an ASP.net app on the server that sends out emails via the SMTP server which works fine. But I cant get the SMTP to work from home/away for my own email. Under IIS this is what is displayed:

computername Local (default)
computername.com Local (Custom)

The computer name is also the same as my website domain name. I tried to create a new SMTP domain as computername.com but instead i clicked the Remote option instead of Alias but it says that domain already exsists. Got any ideas? Thanks

There is a wizard built in to Windows 2003 for making a pop3 mail server with SMTP. You also need to open up port 25 on your firewall aswell and forward to your internal SMTP server IP.

A Word of warning, then a tip: By default you will be an Open Relay. I would strongly advise configuring SMTP authentication aswell. Aslong as you've added your mail domain into the SMTP section of IIS and opened port 25, you should be running.

Now for the tip, this stumped me for about 48 hours on mine when configuring - and I couldn't work it out as Linux SMTP/POP3 was fine. If your running an enterprise antivirus solution such as McAfee Enterprise 8, make sure anything regarding mass mailing worms/ spam/ port 25 isn't enabled/ blocked. This will treat Win2k3 SMTP as a worm and lock down SMTP in/ out.

Rob
Grumpy by name, helpful by nature

Alternatively, if microsoft SMTP/POP3 is giving you a hard time, or in my case would just randomly have issues, there's a great open source, jsut for windows mail server out there call ed hmailserver ( ) I found it simple to use and I am currently integrated with IIS and have had a lot better results. Integrates well with webmail apps too, so you can get you email anywhere.
I like software that works
Tyras

When away from home, just point your email client to your SMTP server's external IP, and it should relay for you.

if you do this though and configure it so it works that way it'd be an open relay which is bad, especially If you want to email people who have spam filters because you will be blacklisted and they will recieve no mail from you, nor will anybody else who has a spamfilter.

If you want to access your mail server externally, just open port 25, disable any features in McAfee etc that block mass mailing worms on port 25, but enable some form of smtp-auth.

hmailserver as mentioned before is a good mail server. I've set it up before on a server and I believe it took about 5 minutes to have a fully working mail account/ domain. Nice and lightweight BUT make sure smtp & pop3 for w2k3 are disabled if you install it.

Rob
Grumpy by name, helpful by nature

If you use your computer away from home via another ISP you need to use the SMTP address of that ISP. You still receive your email via pop using your normal ISP address but you need to change the SMTP send address to the temp ISP each time your leave your normal ISP. But don't forget to change back again when you get home.

well sometimes i cant do this because if im getting a Wi Fi signal i dont know what their SMTP is. There's got to be a way to do this. Even when Im at home i still use my ISP's SMTP server. My dedicated server is in Washington and I live in AZ. I would like to set it up to where I can use my own SMTP server all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back