Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP, Port 25/587 and a MFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedAdmin

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2002
US
I have a customer that has a Panasonic DP-3030 that has recently requested the Scan-to-Email feature be configured. The machine has the capability of generating and sending email on it's own with the proper SMTP configuration information (smtp server name, smtp auth name, password). The only hitch is that it does so on port 25 with no provision for port changes (nor the ability to insert a colon and a different port number at the end of the smtp server IP address).

Typically, this is a no-brainer setup. However, this particular client has a residential account with Comcast and has previously had port 25 blocked. A lot of Googling has been done to find a work-around for this but to date has not yielded success, including a call to Comcast and a request for the lifting of the block (30 minutes of my life I'll never get back).

I am presently playing with PostCast and have tried using DynDNS's MailHop service (which was unsuccessful).

So, any of you run into this situation or know of a work-around for it?

Thanks & Regards

[ A+ Certified, Net+ Certified ]

"Old men are always young enough to learn."

~ Aeschylus

What is the mail server running on?

We run a second listening instance of Exim (Centos 5) on port 587 for clients who are blocked on port 25, including myself.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

The customer is utilizing Comcast's residential SMTP servers.

~ Aeschylus

The customer is utilizing Comcast's residential SMTP servers which is fine for PCs since the email client can be configured to utilize port 587.

~ Aeschylus

So the answer is basically "Not a chance" then.

UNLESS.
You install a SMTP relay on the local machine to listen on port 25 and send the message on to 587 on the Comcast server.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back