Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Permission Denied 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atroy

Programmer
Jun 17, 2002
GB
I have an asp script that mails the results of a form, I know the script works as I've tested it on a different server. When I try it on my server I get an HTTP 500.100 Internal Server Error - ASP Error message. The error is always on the line where the Send command is and states Permission Denied. I believe the default local domain on the SMTP server should take the form of servername.domainname.tld but I cannot get mine to look this way it is just displayed as ehawke, which is the name of the server and the name of the domain. This is the only thing I can see is perhaps wrong, any help greatly appreciated as I,m extremely frustrated now.

Many many thanks, this has got me past the permission denied problem. I've now got the server sending mail, but it will not send mail to any other domains exept ehawke.com which is the domain of my website that resides on the server. Any help with this problem very much appreciated.

Hi,

I think that the SMTP service is configured by default to use a smart host - that is a relay server that does all the DNS lookups and sends the mail. If you're not using a smart host (I would guess not) you will need to change a setting in IIS. Bring up the properties of the SMTP site in IIS manager. Go to the delivery tab and tick 'Attempt direct delivery before sending to smart host'. This should force the web server to do its own DNS lookups, assuming that DNS on the box is configured correctly.

Hope that works
Stuart

You may also have to allow the localhost(127.0.0.1) to relay on the smtp server. This is done in the properties of the smtp server in the IIS MMC.

Hope this helps
[smurf]

Thanks for the replies, I've tried these suggestions but still cannot send mail to any other domain than ehawke.com
I forgot to mention before that the server is behind a firewall, could it be a firewall configuration problem?

I have the same problem as atroy. I can't seem to send e-mails outside of my domain. Anyone got any ideas? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-DVD Girl

We FINALLY figured out what we were doing wrong!

To solve the problem, we added remote domains to the SMTP service.

If you wanted to do that, you would right-click the SMTP service, select Add -> New Domain. Select "Remote", not "Alias", then type in the type of domain you want to let through like "*.net", "*.com", "*.org", etc.

You wouldn't need to configure anything else.

This worked for us, so hopefully, this will help others as well.

-DVD Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back