Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP / MIME Gateway stripes MIME attachements

Status
Not open for further replies.

lap73

MIS
Jul 11, 2001
US
O.K. last question for today. Our SMTP gateway is known for stripping MIME attachments on returned email. Example: A user sends out an email to an external address. For whatever reason, there was a problem with the delivery of the message, and the mail system of the recipiant sends a return message back to the sender. However, in the body of the return message, all you see is the message << MIME attachement stripped >>. According to my documentation, we are using the version of SMTP gateway that supports MIME format. Has anyone every seen this before? (not finding a whole lot about this on Novell's knwoledgebase)

Could it not be that the other system is stripping of the attachment? Lee Smith
Xenon Network Services
Snr. Technical Support
LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk

I really don't think so. According to our users, this happens even when they send out a message that doesn't have a file attachement. And, I have found that this will occur within a few minutes of me sending out the original message. However, with the Daylight Savings Time not being set in our GroupWise, the returned message shows up in the Inbox one hour later than the original outgoing message. Kind of a double edge sword.

Although, I have found one constant, the message that is returned always shows the sender as being Mailer-Daemon. Maybe this mail system use an encorder format that GW's SMTP gateway is unfamiliar with?

All email systems use a mailer-Daemon. That is just the worker thread that responds rather than being a person who sends the message. The message that goes out, is it a valid user on the other system. Check to make sure the address you are sending to is valid. It could be that you are receiving a mail back because the address is wrong and the sytem is taking out any info that is not needed. As a test you can try sendng to my email LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk and also try sending the same mail to qwerty@xenon-uk.co.uk. See if you get one message back or 2. I suspect you will get 1 message back with the stripping message in. Lee Smith
Xenon Network Services
Snr. Technical Support
LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk

You know, this could be your ISP doing this.... Some ISP's (not all) have an intermediate gateway that automatically strips returned mail.

The other thing it could be is your Firewall or content-scanning device. It's just possible that the content-scanner does not like the returned message and strips the attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back