Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Messages are ending in Queue Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkster

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
US
I have set up a web page that sends the user their password if they have forgotten it. When I first set it up everything worked fine. Now the messages (CDNOTS generated e-mail) appear to be stopping in the c:/inetpub/mailroot/queue folder. Any idea as to what might be causing this.

Thanks

For the help.

Brian

Double check the server and make sure it has the address of a valid DNS server. You can test this at the command prompt by typing nslookup domain.com (domain name of one of the emails you are trying to send to). If the lookup completes successfully you will want to check and make sure port 25 (smtp) is not being blocked by a firewall. Also look in the event viewer of the server and see what smtp error you are getting.

Thanks for the fast reply. the lookup returned expected results. Here is one of the errors I was getting out of the event viewer.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: smtpsvc
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4000
Date: 1/22/2003
Time: 3:08:07 PM
User: N/A
Computer: H-ACAD
Description:
Message delivery to the remote domain 'cmd.org' failed for the following reason: The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.

Data:
0000: d2 02 04 c0 Ò..À

How we I know if port 25 has been blocked?

Thanks

Brian

You can check this by attempting to telnet (from the server)to port 25 on the destination mail server.

Hello

We have the same situation here...

We restarted the smtp service and it worked just like before...

The DNS servers were configured right...
I did a 'telnet ourmailserver 25' and that seemed to be allright...

What could be causing this situation all of a sudden?

Greetz

Mim

Greetings guys,

Just a few things to check. If you are just setting this up using IIS smtp relay be sure that if your using a Smart host you have brackets around the ip address. Ex: [192.165.21.2] That will avoid a DNS lookup of your exchange server and send them directly by Ip address.

If you create any remote domaions under IIS Smtp relay be sure you change the settings there.

Also as stated above check to make sure port 25 is up and you can telnet to it.

Thanks,
TecGuy

Hello,

I will post my doubt here because the case is a little bit different but the problem is the same.
I installed a Windows 2000 server with IIS 5.0 in a internal network.
The internet connection is provided by a Win 2k Professional that does connection sharing.
I mapped the ports for FTP and HTTP and the server is fully operational.
But, the SMTP feature is not running. This feature will not be accessible by external users. The only purpose of it is for CDONTS sending e-mail through ASP/HTTP pages.
All messages are stuck in QUEUE folder and the event viewer only gives me this:
Date: 7/4/2003
Time: 11:38:30 PM
Computer: SERV1
Description:
Message delivery to the remote domain 'hotmail.com' failed for the following reason: An internal DNS error caused a failure to find the remote server.

Data:
0000: e7 02 04 c0 ç..À
I´ve set SMART HOST, to relay outbound mail to my ISP's mail server who will in turn send it out to the recipients but I don´t know if it´s working (or the queue folder would be empty).

I´ve researched a lot, but I couldn´t find identical cases of mine.
NSLookup works fine, but telnet to port 25 on destination mail servers doesn´t work.

Any clues or tips ?

Regards,

Rafael Martin

If your Windows 2000 Pro computer is your Gateway. (or Main source to internet).. Wouldn't it make sense to have IIS installed on that computer with SMTP setup there to forward all messages to your ISP?

I am thinking that your setup may need to be changed a bit. You have a windows 2000 server with IIS on your internal network. A windows 2000 Pro workstation sharing your Internet Connection. You have SMTP traffic going to your 2000 Server and the smart host for that is set to your ISP. The Problem seems to be with the 2000 Server getting through the windows 2000 Pro Box.

I haven't used the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) So I am not sure how it works with allowing ports and mapping ports for others to use.

Why Dont you just install IIS on the Windows 2000 PRO Box. That way your sending Directly to your Gateway.

That will only take a few minutes to setup and configure. Wont hurt to try.. But I would recommend using your Windows 2000 Server Box for your Internet Access with ISA. You have way more control of ports and security.

Yes, since I post the first message, I made exaustive tests.
I discovered I can't open TELNET sessions from any internal computer only to MX servers, on port 25.
I CAN (!!!!) open telnet sessions to SMTP servers, or to known testing routers (like R1R2 Cisco etc) and everything else. But when the connection is tryied to MX servers, it doesnt work
The server's motherboard is limited to one PCI interface, so I cant put it as the gateway for other computers.
But the strangest thing I saw is that from the WIN2K Pro gateway computer, I can't open the TELNET sessions to MX servers either.
I believe the DSL modem is blocking me to avoid MX packets to be exchageded.
It's a SPEED TOUCH PRO (Alcatel), and I searched a lot inside it for a filter or some "firewall" but I couldn't find it.
I ran out of solutions at this time, but I'll leave this post for others who face the same problem.

Regards,

Rafael Martin

I'm facing the same problem Mails dont go from my system which is a windows 2000 server with IIS installed in it.

Actually, I didn't have the problem till last week. But last week, the password for my system login was changed and from then on i am having this problem. I am getting the warning in my system

source : smtpsvc
Event id:4000

Message Delivery to the remote domain '..com' failed for the following reason: The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.

Could anyone help me out on this.

Thanks,

Regards,
K. Sripriya

Hi
I am having the same problem. I am not sure if there were any answers to those problems
I am also on win 2k

I dont see anything in the mail-Q either. The other things is the sharepoint is also installed on this and it is sending mails successfully

Date: 1/27/2004
Time: 04:30:30 PM
Computer: SERV1
Description:
Message delivery to the remote domain 'hotmail.com' failed for the following reason: An internal DNS error caused a failure to find the remote server.

Data:
0000: d2 02 04 c0 Ò..À

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back