Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP mailserver 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsonx

Technical User
May 5, 2003
AU
I've been assigned the task (at my work) of switching our Windows servers over to Linux servers (due to overwheelming M$ costs). I am using RedHat beacuse I am most comfortable with it. I have already done the fileserver successfully and will be doing the mailserver shortly.

What I am after is an SMTP mailserver. I have searched around and found a few mailservers, however I would like some opinions or views on any you have used or like (preferably free, but am not too fussed)

These are the ones I have found am are looking into:

Xmail- JAMS- CommuniGate Pro- Courier-
Thanks heaps!

qmail is an outstanding SMTP server.

extensively documented and step-by-step build instructions here:

appropriate page of all sorts of links about it:

I always recommend that users view this marvelous URL to understand how to install it with a lot of bells and whistles.

You will enjoy this free, secure, and efficient SMTP MTA.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

I second the daver. Follow his links, they are all very informative and will set you on the right track.

I also like Kerio ( but it isn't free.

------------------------------------
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
------------------------------------

I prefer postfix and ipop3d for a mail server. They come bundled with your RedHat distro.

There is a significant amount of configuration information for them on the net.

pansophic

throwing another one into the works, i think is so so easy to configure. i replaced my sendmail installation with exim a few months back, and it's been superb ever since, adn has a coupl of great admin apps which display mail queues and throughput etc... and of course there's qmail or postfix. Other than those four... nah...

I have postfix installed on my distro, and one good thing going for it is the fact that it's "sendmail backwards compatible" by integrating a "sendmail" command that goes thru postfx.. so old scripts will work without having to mess with them.

can postfix acutally be set up to serve SMTP/POP3? i read thru some of the documentation and it is very confusing

----------------------------------------------

MasterPi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back