Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendangriffin

Technical User
Feb 22, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am looking at setting up my SBS server with external email. I propose to put in a second network card with an external IP address and my ISP will forward all SMTP mail to this external address.

The question that I have is are there any changes that I will need to make to Exchange/ISA server (both on the same box) to ensure that email is received succesfully, will Exchange automatically detect that the server has an external interface?

I have setup ISA server and Exchange before but they were on seperate servers and I used the SMTP virtual server, added a remote domain and pointed this towards the internal address of the Exchange server. This option is not available in IIS under SBS.

Thanks in advance

Brendan

Assuming the Local Address Table is set up correctly the machine will know which is the external interface, you should also setup a gateway on the external interface, and make sure that DNS is configured properly. Then get the MX record is changed to the IP on your external interface. Emails should start arriving as this happens (can take 24 hours after initial change to propergate accross the NS network) so it is worth trying to keep your old interface (dial-up) working for a day or two so as not to lose any emails. Assuming Exchange is set to use DNS to send emails emails should leave via the external interface as soon as it is configured with the gateway and DNS servers. (Make sure that ISA has the appropriate packet filters and protocol rules. You can then publish OWA etc by using the publish server wizards.

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that all I need to do on the ISA server is to create a packet filter to allow port 25 plus the relevant DNS query ports?

When you say local Address Table do you meant the LAt in ISA Server?

Thanks for you help

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back