Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

smtp log questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hall0743

MIS
Oct 5, 2012
US
I am trying to set up smtp in modular messaging and am noticing some problems. The first is that the messages appear to be blocked, which is probably because my MM server is not on the domain. Before I fix that issue, i want to figure out why the "SMTP IN" log is adding an entry every time someone leaves another person a voicemail. It says xxxx@xxxx.com sent xxx bytes to xxx@xxx.com. Why is it trying to send emails for users that don't have any kind of notifications set up? When I look at subscriber options for some of these extensions, the only thing enabled is the message waiting indicator.

any ideas?

Every local subscriber has an assoicated email handle in the MSS. When someone leaves a message for another person that message is recorded on the MAS and sent to the MSS via SMTP with the referenced email handles of each local subscriber through the Private LAN. The SMTP IN log should contain information on those voice messages recorded from local subscriber to local subscriber among other things.

Usually a Mail Gateway entry is defined on the MSS to send the outgoing SMTP messages to a mail server(like Notify Me).

Chuck
RCT Technologies

And just to be on the safe side you don't want to add or even try to add your MM server into your Domain. Just have the guy that works on the SMTP mail relay add the MSS as a trusted source for SMTP messages.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Ok. So those aren't messages that are going to be hitting everyone's outlook inbox once I add the smtp server to the external hosts section?

No they will not only the notify me ones will

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

The SMTP In log shows incoming (receiving) mail to the MSS.

The SMTP Out log shows mail sent out from the MSS such as Notify Me.

Chuck
RCT Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back