Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP is slowly consuming all the RAM on the Netscape messaging server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dguse

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2002
US
I have a Windows NT 4 server running Netscape Messaging Server. It's been running for several years, but 2 days ago it started to slow down to a crawl. Upon investigation, I noticed that smtpd.exe was using all the available RAM on the system. I restarted the server and all looked good, but a few hours later, it was in the same state. I rebooted again and watched the smtpd process and it slowly started consuming all the RAM on the system.
Any ideas as to what is going on or where to check??

This is a well known problem with some versions of NMS 4.1x - ensure you are running at least NMS 4.15sp6.

You may find it helpful to restart the queue directories as pre 4.15sp6 were known to 'drop' files in teh queue which were never processed but would clog the server.

I am having the same problem with NMSG4.15p7 on HPUX 11.0 I was told that patch 8 will address this problem..but no official release date yet.

and i think is diferent from each system. -----------------------------------
I'm Hancy Wong from Beijing China.
-----------------------------------

I'm using Netscape Messaging Server 4.15. My problem is how to configure my smtp so that all email can be route out?
My email server can send and receive message from local user. Also can receive from outside email but cannot send to outside email address.

Has anyone been able to fix this? I am having the same problem and I have sp6. I am running NT.

I'm also facing this problem with NMS4.15/P6 on Digital Unix 4.0f. I'm not able to find the patch url also.

Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back