Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP email between Exchange servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgh2000

MIS
Jan 2, 2002
US
hello all-
Replacing Exch 2K server with Exch 2K3 server. Currently both are up and I am testing before moving the mailboxes. I can't send email to the Exch 2K server from the 2K3 box. I can send email to outside world from both and email will go from the Exch 2K to the new Exch 2K3 server. Both servers are internal.

Mail gets stuck in a queue on the Exch 2K3 which is using the SMTP virutal server. The name of the queue is the FQDN of the Exch 2K server. Possible problem (?)- The Exch 2K box has the SMTP Virtual Server assigned to a specific IP. That IP is in the DNS by someting like SVRSMTP. The DNS name for the server is another IP. If I telnet on port 25 to the Exch 2K server by name it does not work. It does work if I telnet to the IP (or name) of the SVRSMTP.

I need this to work for a little while until I can move a couple hundred mailboxes and then decommission the Exch 2K box. Is there a way to tell the Exch 2K3 server to use another IP rather than the DNS name for the server? Any other ideas what can be going on or another way to approach it. I suppose I could change the Exch 2K SMTP server to be All/unassigned, test to make sure it does not break anything I did not know about and see if that fixes the problem...

Thanks

Dave

If they're in the same organization, you don't need a SMTP connector between them. If they're seperate, then you would have to, but moving your mailboxes will be your biggest problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back