Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP: ELHO --> 500 command unrecognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

shon4711

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
DE
Hi List,

every time an email-Server sents emails with:
ELHO xxx.xxx.com
instead of
HELO xxx.xxx.xom
the Firewall sents an 500 error (unrecognized command).

I know it's not the mail-server itself because if I type this command directly at this server
(with telnet localhost 25
ELHO xxx.xxx.com....)
the server answers properly.

I think I have to configure the FW, but how????

Thanks for any hints,
best regards,
Peter

Sorry, I mean: EHLO

And 2. I work with Raptor 6.5 version and there's no possibility to check an 'ESMTP enable' option in the smtp-configure in the Rules like in newer Versions.
So I need another way (I hope there is one!!)

Regards again,
Peter

Seeing that you are using Raptor 6.5 I think you have one of two options.

1. Upgrade. Raptor 6.5 is very old software now and I think it would be in your best interest to upgrade, even if it is only to ver 7.04.

2. Disable the SMTPD and create a custom protocol for port 25 (GSP or TCPAP-GSP). The reason for this is because Raptor 6.5 & 6.5.2 does not support ESMTP, So the only way you are going to be able to pass packets with the dst port of 25 is by creating another GSP Proxy.

I hope this helps,

SefLogic

tips on fixing any problem in the world
1. Check google / google-groups
2. check the vendor support page
3. get a book on the topic

@SefLogic,

thank you very much!
I think I give your second item a try. I think this could be the solution.
Upgrade is not a good idea because we change to a different solution by the end of 2004, so intermediate I'll try to set up a different protocoll for port 25.

Best regards,
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back