Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Connector sending to some, but not to all? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kixtart

MIS
Jun 5, 2003
US
Hello, I'm stuck on this one. I set up Exchange2000 with all the latest service packs on both Win2k and Exchange2k. I can receive all email (from different domains and internally) just fine.

However, I can not send mail to all. I can send to hotmail.com, yahoo.com, internally, and the Dept. of Justice. I can NOT send to comcast.net or aol.com. Atleast this is all I've tested so far. The messages just remain in my queue until NDR. Originally I though Comcast,net blacklisted me, but then I found out I couldn't send to Aol.com. I've only had this box up and running for 2 weeks.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Gary [noevil]

Gary,

I will probably have to disappoint you. I already tried it. I registered my DNS as a public server. Just as before if I do an MX lookup I get a good response but if you do a reverse lookup I get a Comcast domain. I think we are trying to do the same thing since we are both serviced by Comcast. I cannot get DSL either so I tried to use the dynamic address given to me by Comcast to have my email server. So far so good accept for the email server problems.

I am about the call comcast and go postal. Last I talked to them they said that there is a known issue for Comcast sending email to AOL and they were working on it. This has probably been resolved by now.

BUT... from the Comcast web access I can log into my <user>@comcast.net email account and send email to both other Comcast users and AOL users.

I had high hopes for the DNS re-routing too.

Back to the drawing board...

Gary [noevil]

Gary, I did not say that you should not try the DNS resolution. It did not work for me but perhaps it will work for you. Give it a shot it does not cost anything ,right? The interesting thing was that I installed the Mercur Email server and if I try to send email to AOL from that server I get a response error 500 you have a dynamic IP address and AOL does not accept it.

I know me, I'm sure I will still try it. I'll let you know.
But I'll take a break as I will be away for a few days, then check back in.

Gary [noevil]

I understand that:

Your MX records are OK and point to your server...
You have inserted FQDN name to SMTP server properties...

There is still one more way. This is not very cool, but nevertheless. Every ISP has a SMTP server that routes through it's clients' e-mails. These servers are usually pretty well configured and maintained. So you should try adding a smart host filter to your Exchange configurations so that all your e-mail is routed to your ISP's server for delivery.

IT WORKS!

Ok, first I brought my DNS internally. NO go. Still can't send to AOL.com and Comcast.net. But at least I have far more control over DNS now.

Sohni, YOU ARE THE MAN! [thumbsup2] Your last post explaining how to use my ISP SMTP as a smart host worked like a champ!

For all who don't know how to do this, follow this:

Open ESM.
Open the properties of your default connector (You may need to creat one, like I did. Normally you don't need it)
On the General Tab, select the bullet to &quot;Forward all mail...&quot; and type in you ISP's SMTP. (For Comcast.net, I used smtp.comcast.net)

I don't remember, but I don't think I needed to even Force any emails already hung in my queue for AOL.COM or COMCAST.NET

GZEJER..DO IT!

Gary [noevil]

Reading an old thread, but I just had this problem ant it is 2005. I've wrestled with this issue for the past 6 months.. Some times it would send to certain ISP's and sometimes it would not..
I had an issue today with a new domain, ACI.ON.CA (Aurora Cable in Ontario Canada). I decided to call and they told me they have a Unix server and in the logs they are not seeing my FQDN: Company.COM, but are seing Company.LOCAL my internal Domain Name.

I went in to the Exchange Server Manager

Administrative Group > DOMAIN_NAME > Servers > Server Name > Protocols > SMTP Right Clicked "Default SMTP Virtual Server"
and selected properties. Went to the Delivery Tab and clicked the Advanced button. Their is a section asking the FQDN. It had my local servers name and the local Domain.
I changed it to the FQDN :Company.COM.

By the time I hit the Queue, the messages were gone.

I was told by the Administrator at Aurora Cable that in the current Exchange Patches it reverts to the local name when it should have the FQDN

To Sweetworks. I have same problem I have correct NAME still can not send to one important cleint

DSN reverselookups done by recipients can cause some of the issues....u can try to create stmp connector based on IP of the recipient(troubled domain). this will bypass DNS issues as long as your MX record is correct (nslookup will show if your public IP =yourdomain)
all the best!

:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back