Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Configuration, when using an ISP as email host

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechCarnivore

Technical User
Apr 13, 2006
US
Hi Gang,
I have a problem with the monitoring and performance emails not making it to their destination. Part of the troubleshooting process is to validate that exchange is running/configured correctly.

I'm still learning SBS and I'm not completely sure that I've configured the SMTP connector for exchange server 2003 correctly.

We're using our ISP to host our emails and I'd like to use the POP connector and SMTP feature in exchange. Can someone provide a walkthrough or tutorial on how to configure the SMTP connector?

Actually the best advice for you at this point is that you absolutley need to run through the SBS ToDo list.

The Connect to the Internet wizard that is linked in the ToDo list will set this up properly for you.

You are probably going t need to configure the SMTP Server to use a "Smart Host" which would be the FQDN of your ISP email server. This will ensure that all outgoing mail passes through the ISP server to ensure an RDNS lookup will match that servers IP address.

Question for you of course is what kind of connectivity do you have? If you have at least a DSL line to your server and have a static IP address then you should consider removing the ISP SMTP from the equasion. All that is required is to add an MX record for your server and set it at a lower priority number than the ISP server. You could leave the ISP server entry there for backup and leave the POP connector configured. this way if your server or Internet connection goes down, mail would first try to reach your server and if that is unreachable would then flow to the ISP server for later retrieval by your server.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Hi Mark,
I've completed the To Do list, thanks for the suggestion.

Ah I see! So under the smart host entry I need to input the FQDN. Such as smtp.ispdomain.com Now then we need to authenticate on the out going SMTP server. How do I relplicate that in exchange. I am familiar with that process on the client side (outlook), however since we're using exchange, I believe the exchange server handles that process.

We have a dynamic DSL connection so I don't see the MX record idea working...

I found the Smart Host to not be very smart.

For our ISP anyway that option would not work. We have it set to use the SMTP connector only and Outlook handles the POP3 part. Just FYI.

How did you set up your smtp connector?
Can you provide a walkthrough or overview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back