Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP all messages dropped with no errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakishoner

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
I have SMTP installed and configured. The problem is that all messages go to the dropped folder. The ASP page, which uses it, does not show any errors in fact say that it was sent successfully.

My server is in a routed network and have a virtual server listing on my router pointing to my SMTP server. Not sure if this is even a concern seeing how the problem is out-bound and not inbound.

Thanks in advance.

Well there is errors after all in the Event Viewer.

The folowing is the error:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: smtpsvc
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4000
Date: 10/6/2003
Time: 10:56:01 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER001
Description:
Message delivery to the remote domain 'yahoo.com' failed for the following reason: An internal DNS error caused a failure to find the remote server.

Data:
0000: e7 02 04 c0 ç..À

Also I have read about Smarthosts. What is this and how would I go about configuring it in IIS 5 on 2000? Also how would I test to see if my ISP restricts outbound SMTP messages?

Sounds like you might be having DNS lookup problems. Make sure your smtp server has the address of a DNS server in its IP configuration. You should be able to test this using nslookup. A smarthost is simply another mail server that your smtp server will send all mail to so it can be delivered rather than doing a dns lookup and attempting delivery.

I did an nslook up on my ISPs SMTP server and typed that address into my SmartHost field. Also I had read another post and found that when you do this you should enclose the IP in brackets. Ex: [123.123.123.123]
That seemed to do the trick for me.

Thanks for the input epohl :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back