Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

smtp;550 5.7.1 Access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimfun

Technical User
Feb 15, 2002
US
Hi , I am having problems with sending mail to one particular domain . A couple of weeks ago this was the NDR I was receiving :

You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<marvin.local.jcpr.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay xxx@xxx.com>.

After a day or so users were able to send to this particular domain with no problems .
I am now getting this message when trying to send mail to the same domain as before :
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<marvin.local.jcpr.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Access denied>

Anyone know what is going on here ?

Thanks

What is going on in the background? Need more info - are you the Admin for the domain in question?

David

Hi , no i'm not the admin for the domain in question I am the admin for the users trying to send mail to the domain in question .

Xmsre - according the dnsstuff.com site , reverse dns etc etc from the domain I am trying to send mail from is ok .

If the Black List comes up clear, I would contact that administrator because of your sequence of events, i.e. able to send email, 'Unable to Relay', able to send email, 'Access Denied'.

Something is changing with the configuration of thier server since it doesn't sound like there are changes occuring on your end.

Probably the result of a new admin, or worse, a wannabe admin. I run into that frequently.

Make sure your ducks are in order first. When you can eliminate the possibility of an issue on your end, contact the distant administrator.

Thanks people , will double check everything on my end and then get hold of their sys admin and see what the hell they are up to . I'm on no blacklists that I can find .

PS - this is really starting to p**s me off ! , mail that wouldn't get delivered this morning is now going through fine , surely this proves that it is something they are doing on their end as I haven't changed anything on my end ?

I need ammunition to take to my users when this happens again , you know how it is , "why won't my e-mail go through , what's wrong with our e-mail yadda yadda yadda .

Yes, Users are frustrating aren't they?

The policy I have instituted is that 99.9% of the time it is not our problem or a problem within our domains and we are innocent until I prove us guilty. I reiterate this frequently throughout the year in the Monday Directors meetings.

Usually - about 30 seconds after I receive the complaint (with all supporting examples of course, I have our users trained well enough to know that "My E-mail doesn't work" gets very little response) and I determine it is outside our scope, I issue an e-mail stating just that, and then add that we are assisting the offending company in a resolution.

Providing the other admin as much detail regarding their issue usually gets everything fixed in a couple of minutes - but don't expect thanks for it.

David

Zimfun

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue and I'm frustrated as hell!

I've also just started to get this problems. About 2 weeks ago the users were on a Cobalt Cube from Comcast Business. That got hacked and it was on a blacklist. Since then we have setup an Exchange server. Today they are having problems send out email. The DNS looks okay. Anything else I can try?

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for email@address.com

It looks like a PTR record does not exist. I'm contacting my registrar now to add it. I hope it fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back