Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMSman.exe Client Install...help, help, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

samdel

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
Hi,

I have network discovery installed and it seems to be picking up my devices. However, right now I don't want to enable any automatic client installation. When I try to run the SMSMan.exe file from a box that has been discovered it states that the installation was successful but that my sms servers have not been configured to manage the client. I have my boundaries all set and during discovery it even assigns the correct Site Server per its domain.

Any ideas about this? I thought that by doing network discovery that you are not actually installing the client software that is found in the control panel. That is why I tried to run the SMSman.exe program.

Thanks.

The smsman.exe is the manual way to install the client. It does the same thing that Remote Client Installation does under "Client Installation Method". If you have network discovery enabled and a client installation method enabled, all the resources it finds in the subnets that you specify under network discovery are going to automatically get the client pushed to them. I had the same problem because I didn't want the client pushed to every resource in the subnet that I gave it. I wanted to exclude certain machines/servers. There is a registry hack for the site server that enables you to exclude computers, but I haven't had any luck with it. Supposedly it doesn't stop computers from being discovered, but it will stop the client from being installed on them. Like I said though, I have had no luck with it. Here's a link for that registry hack:

Make sure you have everything configured in the admin console under Site Hierarchy > (001) Site > Site Settings...etc.

I hope this helps!
Good Luck

Tell us brother samdel what's going on ... the result it's O.K
We want to know because i have seen the artic.. but have not done it yet
Thanks in advance

SMSMan.exe requires a logon point to be in place somewhere in the hierarchy, so you must enable the logon client installation method for it to work. You can enable this method and tell SMS not to automatically insert the installation code into your login scripts Rod Trent
Microsoft.MVP.SMS
=======================================
Main site: =======================================

Actually the fix to this issue is that you have to give each client local admin rights to the SMSService account. Otherwise the installation will fail.

For example in a domain the SMSService account would be in a group like "Domain Admins" and then each client would need to have this group added to it's local Administrator group.

-Sam

Hi all,
actually brother by default the domain admin account will be added to local account when you join the computer to the domain..
am i right ..

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back