Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

smsexec.exe memory hog

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarzEG

MIS
Jun 10, 2003
US
I have a server (dual processor/512mb ram) running SMS and SQL 7.0. Every now and then, smsexec.exe seems to eat up all the memory. It starts using >450 mb of the RAM and slows down everything on the server. I am running SMS 2.0 SP5. Sometimes it runs without any problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

After researching the problem, it was determined that this issue was caused by Duplicate GUIDs. After creating the necessary queries and collections for duplicates, I was able to run a SMS package to remove the GUIDs on duplicates and then recreate a new GUID. There were also a few that had to be manually updated. Although this did take several days to remove the duplicates, SMS now runs without any problems. The Microsoft technical paper that was used to resolve the issue is located at . There is an updated newuid.exe on myitforum.com. Hope this helps anyone else who is having similar problems.

-tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back