Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMSEXEC Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerice

MIS
Apr 18, 2002
US
Here is one for everybody. One my SMS Site server, which is a Dell PowerEdge 2450 Dual Proc PIII With about 768 Meg Of RAM, Running on Win2k, SMS is SP4. Machine serves as the SQL Database for the Site & Software metering, and Site server. The server has plenty of resources available. The following message continues to pop up stating the following:

smsexec.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x77fcb836" referenced memory at "0xfffffff8". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Any ideas???

did you already check your memory-modules ?

I had thought possibly about the mem modules, but nothing else is affected, the sql services stay running, etc... Just the one SMS Service.. I will look into the mem just to be sure...

If you don't have some extra new RAM to test to see if the memory error go away then try reseting the site. Hope that helps.

PeterN

pls,
how can i reset the sit ?
is it by using the cd or the sms setup ?

thanks in advanced

Here is what wound up fixing the problem. Had nothing to do with the Site Server. The Software Metering box was NT4.0 so I nuked the OS partition and put Win 2k Server on it, had the site server re-establish it as a metering server and Poof all the problems went away and all is working nicely. Thanks for the input but it was not a memory issue, which I figured it wasn't, as the Dell boxes are great about reporting memory problems via their own system monitoring software.

I get a similar error.

The instruction at "0x14541c5a" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be "read".

I am not running Software Metering. I tried resetting the site (twice). Is there anything else it could be or should I assume bad memory modules?

Will this error cause software distribution to halt? I am not getting any status on any recent advertisements I create.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back