Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS what happens if I rename Clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FVSD

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
CA
I am tryign to determine the effect of renaming our client computers. Currently all computers are in collections in SMS, we are looking a re-doing our naming convention to better describe the location of the clients. What I am wondering is what the ramifications of renaming clients that are already existing in SMS collections? What happens if we re-use a name that currently exists for a different computer? I am assuming SMS uses a machien SID or some other non name specific tracking method but I want to be sure before renaming 1000 computers.

SMS has the SMSGUID as a unique identifier. You should be able to rename the client machines and SMS is smart enough to adjust. However, I would test this on a few machines just to make sure...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Along this same line, does anyone know of a way to change client machine names using the SMS Client? I'd love to be able to change machine names by using an advertised program with a script, but I'm not sure what commands the script would need to contain . Then again, I'd also like to win the lottery!

Thanks...

- Todd F

Run a hardware inventory scan cycle from the local client after the name change or there will be a longer delay in your SMS database getting the information updated properly. If you run a few tests without doing it you will see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back