Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS \ SUS Updates do not match Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

evz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2001
AE
I have installed the SUS Feature Pack on my SMS Site server and have started to get some inventory returned, and therefore some requests for Security updates.

My main problem appears to be I run Windows update on the PC Client it reports more updates required than what is listed in the Available updates from the SMS\SUS server.

There were also a lot of updates that SMS\SUS said the client listed, but Windows update said nothing of the sort.

I would be more confident if Windows Update and SMS\SUS was a bit nearer to being equal. I know that the updates can be downloaded manaully (as there are some packages which the SUS cannot find, and they have to be inserted manually), but does anyone know if I can simply add a hotfix that is listed in the WIndows Update list.

Thanks

What updates are missing? Remember that SUS only does Critical updates and patches.

Tim

The updates that are missing are only critical ones.

as an example 330994, KB832483, KB826939, 819696, 817787, 814078 and KB828026.

I know the client needs these particular critical updates as this is what Running windows update on the client says.

We are currently trying to decide where to go with patching. Our Servers (Win 2000) we update using Windows update run manually - so we have complete control over this.

Our clients (we are currently only addressing our WIndows XP Clients) we are trying to decide if the 'Standalone' SUS product is better to go for, or the SMS Feature pack , as both have their advantages and disadvantages !

If these are test machines that you are scanning, try deploying the updates that SUS claims that it needs, then do your comparison again and see if the updates that the site specifies are still missing.

One other thought is your SUS server may be out of synch. When was the last time the autosync ran?

Tim

Probably due to...
the SUS/MS sync gets the new updated scan list that MS issues weekly or emergencies

vs the SMS-SUS/MS sync gets the scan list thats updated monthly (been told the evening of 7th of month)
...but none(?) released for March '05.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back