Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS server - Domain move with Hardware Upgrade - Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbieGirl

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2002
CA
I need to move my SMS server from an NT4 domain to a new W2K domain. Then I would like to upgrade the installation to a new server (more power!).

Current configuration:
SMS 2.0 (SP4) on W2K Server (SP3 with most patches)
SQL 2000 (I think SP2)
SMS Clients: 250

I want to know if it would be faster and easier to rebuild or should I just follow the Site recovery task list from Microsoft?

Suggestions? Good articles?

Thanks in advance.

Looking at the size of your SMS Site I'd say it would be much easier to build a new site on your new hardware.

I've done many over the last year and I've had a new SMS Site Server built and running within 2 hours, the client population can take a number of days.

This is also a good way of housekeeping to make sure you don't keep carrying non used data.

Good Luck

Thanks ndouglass!

I have decided to do the rebuild and move to new hardware as you have suggested.

Another question - Do I need to remove the client from each computer or can I take down the original SMS box, rebuild and the clients will reconfigure using the new site?

Can I give the new site the old site name or will this confuse the situation?

Thanks.

i would agree

i have about a 100 sites and the servers are swapped out fairly regularly - i used to try to mess about - now it's flap and zapp - much tidier

you dont need to remove clients and same name isnt a prob - in fact probably better

i've changed site name , server name , domain name and clients come back

did have one site that they didnt - but just put the 20cli.bat in the login script for 2 days and then set them going again -
this worked well but was actually unnecessary as i noticed latter that they didnt work as i spelt the server name wrong for the lan sender account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back