Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS remote tools will not install on some clients HELP!! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy750

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
Okay, here it is folks.

I manage a SMS 2.0 SP2 site. I have no problems with creating packages, running inventories, creating queries, etc... ...

I manage a network of about 200 workstations. Most of the workstations (about 160) work perfectly fine but there are about 40 that will not install the remote control tools and advertisement client tools. The only icon that appears in the control panel is "systems management." I have tried to force the client install from the smsman but it still does not work. I have clicked on the "systems management" icon and pushed it again but it failed again. This network sits within a larger network in a hospital...many routers and switches on an ATM backbone. My network Infrastructure group assures me that no ports are being blocked on any of the internal routers (and I believe them...why else would the "systems management" icon appear if they were. I have also found that this is occurring on our newer dell models...Optiplex Gx 110's and after. I also have a dell Poweredge 6400 that I just migrated the whole domain too and upgraded the domain to WIN2k and the tools will not install on it either (Yes the domain functions 100% properly except for the SMS tools). The SMS site server sits on a different server from the new win2k domain controller. What is really strange is that PCAnywhere installs fine and I can remote control it fine from my subnet (doesn't pcanywhere use the same type of client tools as sms?). Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,
Jeremy Bernstein
Shared Consultant
Rush Medical Center

Have any of the problem PC's had SMS 1.2 on them? We found that to be a real problem. A couple of other things to check that we have seen problems with:
- Is the subnet these PCs are on listed in the SITE BOUNDARIES within SMS?

- More than 40MB free space on the C: drive

- Corrupt install of 2.0 that never finishes. I have had to run the 20clicln.bat on several machines, and then had no problems installing the remote control agent.

it is contained within the microsoft sms resource kit. Try the microsoft web site and do a search from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back