Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Query for MS Hot Fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamagnus

MIS
Jul 18, 2001
US
Does anyone have an SMS query that will return the hot fixes applied to a computer? I am specifically looking for the RPC (MSKB823980) patch but I don't know how to query for it specifically.

Thanks,

JM

If you have your MOF set to collect add/remove program entries, you can just query for the patch. I find that this is sometimes misleading as files may not update until a reboot is initiated. The best bet is to go to the MS q article and identify the files the are changed for the particular OS that you are concerned with. Write your query to look for the appropriate file name and version.

Thanks for the reply!

We are currently collecting only .exe files in software inventory. How do I set the MOF to collect the add/remove program entries?

BTW we have been running the KB823980 like fools lately. I have seen several machines that upon reboot did NOT contail a reference in the add/remove programs. the regostry entries were there however. Any ideas?

Thanks,

JM

Try adding the following to your sms_def.mof file. Be sure to backup your original.

class AddRemovePrograms
{
[key]
string ProdID;

[PropertyContext("DisplayName")]
string DisplayName;

[PropertyContext("Publisher")]
string Publisher;
[PropertyContext("DisplayVersion")]
string Version;
};

#pragma namespace("\\\\.\\root\\cimv2\\sms")
[SMS_Report(TRUE),
SMS_Group_Name("AddRemovePrograms"),
ResID(9100),ResDLL("SMS_RXPL.dll"),
SMS_Class_ID("MICROSOFT|ADDREMPROGS|1.0")]
class AddRemovePrograms : SMS_Class_Template
{
[SMS_Report(TRUE),key]
string ProdID;
[SMS_Report(TRUE)]
string DisplayName;
[SMS_Report(TRUE)]
string Publisher;
[SMS_Report(TRUE)]
string Version;
};

Be aware that MS03-039 supercedes the patch that you are now deploying and should be the one you are using.

As far as not showing up in a/r, is it possible it is being installed without the uninstall option? That might give you the situation you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back