Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS on BDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbieGirl

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2002
CA
What is the most effective way to remove and re-install SMS on a BDC in my site?

I believe I have a corrupted SMS install on my BDC. Only a handful of computers in the subnet where the BDC is located are installing the SMS client. The rest have the SMS icon in control panel, but do not belong to a site. This BDC does not belong to my site (when viewed in control panel) however, in the Admin Console, the BDC shows up in Site System as an SMS Logon Point.

This BDC was a part of an incomplete installation of SMS sometime ago, and I think this may be where my problems are stemming from.

I am planning to:
1. Delete the registry keys (SMS and NAL)
2. Delete the MS subdirectory in WINNT directory
3. Delete appropriate *.MIF files.
4. Reboot

Will this work? Am I missing a critical step? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is frustrating me to no end.

Hi,

I don't know if you thought of running the Deinstallation of the site? It doesn't say so in your plan!
When I want to remove a site I just run the Deinstall and that will remove most of the SMS files and folders. You have to remove some registry keys like you mention there.
Let me know if you have any questions?

GSC

Thanks for responding, GSC

Yes, I would attempt to run the clicln20.exe prior to the removal of the other if need be.

Do you think this will clear up the inability of computers in that subnet to register in SMS? It is just a hunch on my part as this BDC still appears to validate users and run the logon script for computers in other subnets.

Barbie,

I'm not sure if I got all the bits and pieces here but here's my procedures for removing SMS on a Secondary site.
(I assume that your BDC is a Secondary Siter server in SMS)
In the Site Hierarcy - Right click on the BDC that you want to remove SMS from and select DELETE. When you do so the delete or deinstall site wizard appears. Select DEINSTALL and follow the procedures.
Once the site is Deinstalled you need to remove the SMS accounts created for this site. Also run the Preinst: DelSite like it says in the Microsoft SMS documentation.
One thing that I have found to help me alot is to delete the following keys in the registry.
Under Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\profilelist
Here you will find a lot of SMS account profiles. DELETE ALL of them.
Also check for SMS files on the server like you said earlier.
Once all this is done let the server be for 24 hours, just to make sure that SMS isn't sending anything to the server.
If all is OK. Start the push again.
Let me know if you have any questions or issues?
GSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back