Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS install/upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEVDaddy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2001
US
Hello,

I am completely new to SMS and have been given the task of upgrading our existing 2.0 install to 2003. Right now we only use sms for remote control to troubleshoot issues, and since the person in charge of SMS has left the company, I wanted to blow the existing install away and do a clean install of 2003. My concerns are with remote control Once the 2003 install is complete, will I be able to access the existing 2.0 clients until we are able to push the advanced 2003 client. We don't want to automatically push the new client.

Thanks!

What I would suggest you do is leave the existing 2.0 infrastructure in place and install the 2003 next to it.

when you want to "move" clients over to the 2003 environment, just make a package with the sms 2003 client in it and send it from the sms2.0 server. The boundaries can overlap between the two, and the 2.0 client will not try to reinstall as it will see the version number is higher.

(you could also remove the client installation method of the 2.0 client)

To answer your question...no you will have to upgrade the client to make it work with the 2003 sms server

Thanks for your suggestions. So, would you consider creating a packing in sms 2.0 to install the 2003 client and then a package in 2003 to remove the 2.0 client?

no the install of the sms 2003 client will uninstall the 2.0 client automagically

I have server setup as follows: Windows 2003 R2, SMS 2003 SP1 and SQL 2005. When I attempted to upgrade our SMS 2003 system to SMS 2003 SP2 and found that in doing so the Software update installation wizard popped up, then the SMS 2003 Deployment Readiness wizard started, and after it finished doing check on the system the wizard told me that we had to have SQL 7.0 SP3 or greater. Has anybody else done this or have a way to complete this task without having to stop the SMS services, reboot, remove SQL 2005, install SQL 2000 SP4, update SMS to SP2 and R2 then upgrade to SQL 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back