Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS in a Win2K domain 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepp

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2001
AT
does anybody know, how SMS behaves in a Win2K domain?
I didn´t test it yet.
Because login scripts are not possible on a Win2K DC.
Will I also have problems with the "network discovery/remote client installation"-method.

Thanks a lot

We set up SMS 2.0 in a Windows 2000 lab and it ran just as it's supposed to. Not sure what you mean login scripts are not possible on a Win2K DC. We ran our normal login scripts in the 2000 lab just fine.

Tom Thaden
thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov

I have an SMS 2 / Win2k environment and have been very pleased. I have not tried Network Discovery, however.

As far as logon discovery and installation, that's absolutely no problem in Win2k! The exact same logon script options are available in the Win2k domains (user assigned logon scripts), and now includes a very nice new method: Group Policy (GPOs).

With GPOs you can "assign" the client installation to users or machines. This means that the client agent is required to exist for the user or machine objects! Client integrity never had it so good!

Another cool new feature using Win2k is on the SMS Site Server. With Win2k, you get WMI Control (a new Computer Management application) installed in your site server's Computer Management MMC. This applet allows you to view and edit your WMI security on the site server.

Although SMS 2 SP2 includes a wizard to configure WMI security ("Manage SMS Users" on the right click menu of the security node), which pretty much solves the old WBEMPERM issues, this little applet is sweet to have and only installed with Win2000.

Generally, Win2k is a lot better because it installs WMI 1.5, which gives you a lot of extra information and features.

One great feature of WMI Control is that you can now perform WMI configuration remotely via the MMC. This has resulted in a substantial administration cost savings over SMS 2 on NT4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back