Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCErrol

Technical User
Jun 25, 2007
US
Hey folks. I'm researching SMS and I just had a couple of questions I was hoping to get some help on.

Q1. The SMS client; Is there one? Or does SMS use the existing framework and API that Windows uses for management

And if Q1 is true..

Q2. If there is an installable SMS client for Windows, does is show up in Add and Remove Programs and how is it titled?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Errol Neal

SMS does use a client. The client makes heavy use of WMI which is built into current Windows operating systems. The client does not show up in add/remove programs but there are several ways to know it's there. First, it puts some new control panel icons in the control panel:
1. Systems Management
2. Run Advertised Programs
3. Remote Control
4. Program Download Monitor

If the client is running you'll also see CcmExec.exe running as a service in the background.

If you've got an SMS server running you'll be able to find the client installer here:
\\<SMSManagementPoint>\SMSClient\i386\client.msi

Hope this helps!

spence

very helpful! thanks! any well known ports that SMS uses? in other words, if you had no physical access to the system running the client, how would you be able to tell if it was running it if you were saying scanning it via nmap?

This is what I've been able to find about the ports used by SMS 2003 Advanced Clients.

SMS 2003 Advanced Client to AD (for LDAP queries to locate a management point):
UDP port 389 (UDP LDAP Ping)
TCP port 389 (LDAP)
TCP port 636 (LDAP over SSL)
TCP port 3268 (explicit connection to Global Catalog)
TCP port 3269 (explicit SSL connection to Global Catalog)

Management Point connections:
TCP port 80

Remote Procedure Calls (File and Print Sharing):
TCP port 135
TCP port 139
TCP port 445
UDP port 137
UDP port 138

Remote Control:
TCP/UDP port 2701 (general contact, reboot and ping)
TCP/UDP port 2702 (Remote Control)
TCP/UDP port 2703 (Chat)
TCP/UDP port 2704 (File Transfer)

The following executables must also be allowed by the firewall to enable the Microsoft Help Center Service and WMI to function properly:
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\helpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem\unsecapp.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back