Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Console on Vista Enterprise System

Status
Not open for further replies.

mib147

MIS
Apr 11, 2003
US
I am running Microsoft Vista Enterprise with the SMS 2003 SP3 console. I can connect to a SMS site fine and even drill down into collections and package briefly. Suddenly my WMI connection is lost and I can longer drill into anything else. I looked at my adminui.log and see:

[9A0][Fri 11/02/2007 15:02:54]:Error(CheckForDisconnect2): Invalid service pointer. WMI connection has been dropped. : -2147024891 [0x80070005]

Anyone seen this before? I am not running the windows firewall and have disabled my third part firewall with no success. If I install the console on a XP machine this never happens. I have full access!!

Is anyone else having a problem with the console or similar or is it just me?

I've seen it asked here and there, but never a reply other than "me too

yep I am having it too searched and searched to no avail If I find an answer i'll post it.

S

I have already been through that doc. I will open a ticket with MS when I get a chance. The console seems to work for 5 minutes or so then it drops my WMI connection after a period of inactivity.

OK, Whats SMS SP level you have? are you not able to connect to DB in console? OR its not enumerating the nodes in console?

Try to connect to "\\<Siteserver>\root\SMS\Site_<Sitecode>" from VISA client using WBEMTEST when issue is existing.

I am running SMS 2003 SP3. I can connect and enumerate nodes in console for only so long. Then my WMI connection is dropped (If you look at my original post). I can connect to that WMI namespace using WBEMTEST in Vista with no problem. I do not have this problem with XP.

Definitely interested in the solution to this. I have about ten machines experiencing (just started) the exact same issue but they're Windows XP SP2. SMS Advanced Console SP3. WMI connectivity to my central site works as expected from all of the affected machines.

~B

OK, so let me understand it correctly. The console works fine for few minutes and then drops. To make it work again do you just reopen the console or reboot the machine and open the console?

If you reboot, then just try to recycle WMI service and open the console without reboot.

I suspect WMI (Not VISTA)is culprit.

What i understand is that SMS Console, makes asynchronus connections to WMI on provider, so its always 2 way communication between provider and client running the console. Could you confirm their is no intermittent connectivity issues between console client and server.

If you confirm above than I will post steps to rebuild WMI.

After installing ADMIN console on Vista, you may be unable to expand the node in the SMS console
On Vista, the firewall is enabled by default and prevents some communications between the Admin console and the SMS site server. As a result, you are unable to expand SMS nodes in the Admin console
WORKAROUND: Enable the firewall exception for WMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back