Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

userfriendly

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
I setup SMS2.0 SP4 on a 2000 Server machine.
The Discovery methods have been setup correctly and I have found all of the machines on the network.

However~ The only devices that have the SMS Client installed are my servers. Half my work clients have been assigned a site but not site code with SMS=no and the other half are not assigned at all.

No sure what I can do. I checked the logs on the clients and found this entry:

Access Denied on SMS/Client Key - assuming no forced sites or deinstall flag.

also found:

After adding new sites there are 0 site keys and 0 sites in the site list.

I have also seen instances where the logs show an entry in the registry that is being edited to add the site but ends up not adding the entry due to Access rights.

My client stations do not have any restrictions and the SMS accounts listed on the DC all have sufficient rights.

Any suggestions or comments?

Looks like you may have registry permissions set on the workstation so that the SMS client cannot write to the SMS key. Rod Trent
Microsoft.MVP.SMS
=======================================
Main site: =======================================

Manually edited permission on registry folder for SMS. Waited for propogation and found client still has not installed. Just to make sure, the NT discovery and install are only for NT systems as the script edit is for non NT systems such as 95/98/XP/2000/XP?

Our company is trying to find the need for SMS. Our company base is approx 300 users. Deployment of software has happened through scripting prior to SMS. Is SMS useful in this scenario?

I appreciate the help!

SMS may be somewhat of an overkill for 300 users. SMS can definitely do the job, but there may be similar products that require less pre-knowledge and infrastructure design. Have you looked at the Altiris products?

Rod Trent
Microsoft.MVP.SMS
=======================================
Main site: =======================================

Definetly will look into the altiris products however i highly doubt corporate would approve the product. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back