Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Client Installs - Using smsman.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2001
GB
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me with this one.

Current Setup:

SMS 2.0 (SP4) running on Windows 2000 Server (SP2)
Client - Windows 2000 Pro (SP2)

The Issue:
I am having an issue on 2 windows 2000 clients (on a network roll out of 50), the issue is that when the smsman.exe is ran, it goes throught the motions of installing the client software, however when you check in the control panel, under the Systems Management Icon, there are no components installed. I am not having the same problem on any other machine on the network, using the same install method, and the same version of windows.

I have tried both the GUI version of the install, and the command line using the additional switches, /s servername /d domain /a auto /q quiet.

In addition, i have also used the SMS Support tools, in particular the 20clicln.bat uninstaller, to remove all components then reboot and reinstall, i have even gone as far as to use the uninstaller, then the 20clicln.bat, then even edit the registry to remove the remaining traces but still no joy.

Basically i'm now pulling my hair out with this one. MS Technet & MS Support dont seem to have anything listed similar.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

Chris Hibbert

Solution Found:

Just thought i would update this thread with the solution, in case anyone else is stuck with a similar problem.

Ensure that you have File & Print Sharing Installed, SMS relies upon this to connect fully to the machine.

If this is installed then check that both the Workstation & Server services are both Automatic Startup and have both been started.

Hope this helps others

Chris Hibbert

We are facing the same problem with following difference:

The client PC runs windows 98 and it is on the WAN.
We have a single site server installed at the head office.

Any solution will be appreciated.
Thanks

Win98 requires file and print sharing to be enabled for it to become an SMS client

On removing the SP4 and reinstalling SP3 the problem was resolved. You may try the same.

Have you Checked the local groups (Administrators and Users)
Verify that the SMS accounts can access the PC in question.
I have seen this problem when the Domain Admins (SMS Service account in the Domain Admins group) are removed from administrators or if domain users are not in the users group.

Sounds as though you may be adding a step that is not necessary. If you have file and print enabled,and SNMP service is started on the workstation, and have logon discovery enabled and the boundaries correctly configured, SMS will discover the the device, create the DDR, and start CCM which will install the client.

Hopefully someone can help me with this one.

Current Setup:

SMS 2.0 (SP4) running on Windows 2000 Server (SP2)
Client - Windows XP

The Issue:
How I can instull SMS clients on winXP and still not ander local administrator account?!
My users have Power user permition on there workstation.
I don't want to give them local admin, The sms clients instull work only ander local admin permition.
any one?

Make sure the boundaries on the site server are correct. Once Clicore installs the base components CCM will check for a site to assign itself to. If the IP of the machine is outside the boundaries configured at the site server the install will fail.

I second WRAMYKEYS suggestion...

I was having tons of problems with my client installs until I re-examined my boundaries and conferred with my network wonks. You can force the discovery, but the install will not complete properly if the client's IP isn't within the boundary range.

Also, make sure you've got the Server service enabled and started on Windows NT PCs. Rob O'Daniel
Information Technologies Dept
Medical Center Hospital
rodaniel@echd.org

Hi all
before trying to re-install all SMS client Components, you shoul remove every single byte remaining from the first atempt.

Del c:\winnt\ms - entire directory
del c:\winnt\temp_sms
del also smscfg.ini file under Winnt
Its also very important to delete with DELProf.exe (Win2K Resource Kit) every profile instance made by the SMS Client configuration procedure.

then try to install via smsls.bat or smsman.exe, or even by creating a CCR for that workstation.

PP

i have a quary that i have to transmitt text sms message to cellular or landline phonefrom a pc with modem connected. kindly suggest me some method to send sms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back