Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS client install issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcojoe

Technical User
Oct 30, 2003
US
We use Ghost to remotely image our workstations. Part of this process includes installing the SMS client (we are using SMS 2.0).

We are having an issue with reimaging workstations that had Windows 2000 with Windows 2000 again (to update the image version). The SMS client is not installing properly, we are getting a permission 1069 error when we try to manual start the SMS Client Service.

This issue does not happen if we rename the workstation as part of the rebuild. If we change the name from XXXXX to XXXXXt the client installs and the service starts correctly.

We use static IPs and on some machines the IPs were changed, on others they are not, so I don't think this has any impact.

I guess what I'm asking is, have any of you seen anything like this before and if so, how did you resolve it? We think it might have something to do with the machines not being purged from WINS, but we really have no idea. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Because SMS requires a unique GUID, client installations must be installed via the login script, SMS remote installation or manually running the install. Including SMS on a ghost image will not work.

Thanks salemlan.

I should have been more specific, the Ghost Console runs a script that installs the client for us.

The scripts work fine, except for the specific circumstance I mention above, where a Windows 2K machine is being reimaged with Windows 2K again, and the computer name stays the same.

Thanks for any help!

--Joe

Are you certain that when the machines are imaged, that you have removed all SMS client files / Reg entries and the Unique SMS ID file (SMSCFG.ini) The only time we have ever run into problems with imaged clients is when all the SMS information was not fully scrubbed first... :)

Are you using Ghostwalker ? The problem may be because SMS creates the GUID based on the SID of the workstation

I think we've narrowed the problem to: when the security policy is applied, the SMS ID's lose permissions in user rights assignments.

But we are only having this problem, when machines are reimaged without a Computer Name change.

You need to configure your ghost image so that it has never connected to SMS nor does it have SID's deployed to the client from your domain. This way, you have a fresh install of a client with no additional configurables set by either your domain or your SMS Site server. Once you have applied the ghost images and configered correct network settings, SMS and domain stuff with then be applied automatically.

Microsoft have a tool just for the called sysprep
for W2K.

We used it to deploy several images onto 700+ computers without a hitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back