Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS - Can a package be pushed more than once?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmiehl

Technical User
Aug 23, 2010
CA
Good afternoon,

I apologize for my ignorant question. I am not overly familiar with SMS nor its capabilities. I work in the IT shop of a federal government department. Our SMS group seem to be less than helpful in some instances and I was trying to confirm a statement that one of our tech's provided me. The situation is as follows:

We have an application that needs to be installed/uninstalled numerous times on one machine based on user turnover. For example, one user requires the application, then leaves and the new user doesn't need the app. We must remove it due to errors/user account issues.. The second user eventually leaves and his/her replacement again needs the application so we have to install it again. Our tech informed me that SMS will not and cannot push/install the same package once it has been installed once without re-imaging the PC. It is not an MSI being pushed but a CMD that calls on numerous selft extracting packages.

My question is this. Once a package has been pushed, can it be uninstalled and then pushed again and again? If so, how is this possible?

Thank you very kindly in advance for any responses.

Dave

Yes it can, your tech needs to understand collections and query based collections.

MCTS:Windows 7
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Desktop Administrator
MCTS:System Center Configuration Manager 2007
MCSE:Security 2003
CompTIA Security+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back