Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS and imaged PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadj2885

MIS
Mar 19, 2010
US
We have an image that has SMS installed. Every time we image a PC and roll it out to the end user, we cannot connect with remote tools. The PC shows up in the collections list, when we click 'Start remote tools' it has the correct IP address, but says Remote Control Agent Not Found. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing i need to download the SMS 2.0 support tools for this. Also, if i do those steps on the image PC, will i have to reinstall SMS on all the imaged PCs? From what I've read, the 20clicln.bat completely removes the SMS client from the PC. Thanks.

Ideally you don't want to have the SMS client as part of the image but as part of a task sequence that installs the client when it's deployed.

The reason for this is as above, the SMS client will be using the same GUID as all previous clients (even if you syspreped the machine) but if you do a fresh install it should get a new GUID.

Also worth asking, have you configured the Remote Tools on the SMS server?

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

We're using SMS 2.0, I'm not sure if this is a factor. I have tried everything i can find on the Microsoft site about duplicate GUIDs for SMS 2.0 and SMS 2003 and nothing is working. The PCs do aquire new GUIDs, but they still do not work in SMS. Also, we do have remote tools configured.

Is there any reason why you haven't upgraded to SMS 2003 or Config Manager? Bearing in mind that SMS 2.0 went end of life March 2006 you're going to find it increasingly difficult to get support on a product that is essentially dead in the water.

One question I do have for you, what OS is it? I am wondering if this is an OS issue.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

We haven't upgraded because of budget limitations. And it is installed on Server 2003. Finding support for it is difficult, but that's why I'm on this forum haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back