Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sms 2003 problem Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

testing1234

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2004
GB
I have installed sms 2003 and used the network discovery method. The all system collection does not show the new devices that it has discovered.

Can someone please help if they can?

Network Discovery works with SNMP installed and grabs the information from like SNMP routers, so you have to configure that connection to your routers.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

I've had problems with network discovery in the past. It seems to help to make the start time like 5 minutes in the future. This way, after you click OK, SMS has 5 minutes to realize that there is a scheduled network discovery to run.

This happened to me in SMS 2.0. Haven't used Network Discovery in SMS 2003....

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I would suggest for you to enable Heartbeat Discovery. This would update SMS every time a computer is turned on (This is what is shown in the Active Column of many of your SMS collections).

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

I have a similar situation. Heartbeat discovery is enabled but the machines with recently installed clients are not being recognized. When I check the list in SMS, I notice that it says the client is not installed. However, when I run remote tools, it will say that the remote control agent is found via TCP.

Need Help. I have SMS 03 installed on a server running Windows Server 2003. I have the site database installed on the primary server of our network, running SBS 2003. Everything is ok except i cannot install or discover clients. Any suggestions? thanks.

There is some client troubleshooting scripts that you should run against those computers to see if the clients are really configured correctly. Also, you should download the SMS 2003 Toolkit and run the troublehooting tools and the health checker to see what you get. Right now this is too broad.

If you search in you can find a lot of good how to articles as well as pre-written scripts. There used to be a Client Troubleshooting script in this site that was really good, but I am unable to find it now. Tomorrow, I'll look for the zip at work and will post it in one of my sites (I'll post the address tomorrow)

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

globalstrata: I just downloaded the SMS toolkit and a few other "goodies". I am planning to have them installed ASAP.

I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Do you know what the troubleshooting scripts are by chance?

I've installed the SMS Toolkit. Now, I am trying to figure out the correct tool I need to get this inventory done by tomorrow.

BTW, when you check out that thread, Go all the way to the bottom. Someone asked another question in the middle of the thread that has to do with MP troubleshooting.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back