Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS 2003, no client discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachesis09

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
GB
Hi

I've spent a lot of time getting the installation perfect and configured, and am now on the last hurdle.

I've set client push installation and used heartbeat and AD System discovery but the only system I have in the 'All Systems' collection is the SMS server, with the advanced client installed and the correct site code assigned.

Is there anything obvious as to why it own;t be picking up systems from AD AND Heartbeat?

Thanks
Danny

How often you set heartbeat and AD discovery to run? Have you checked if the SMS Advanced Client is installed on the systems?

Hi, thanks for the reply, after cleaning out the event viewer, I've corrected a few problems and after configuring boundaries properly it has picked up the clients I have asked foe.

However, it has not pushed out the advanced client anywhere apart from the server itself.

You can check the log file on the client side to get some indication of what's happening.

C:\Windows\System32\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.log

You can check the log file on the server at

C:\SMS\Logs\ccm.log

One thing that's easy to forget about is configuring SMS to use the proper administrative account for Client Push. Under Site Settings right click Client Push Installation and click Properties. Go to accounts and make sure you've configured is to use the SMS_Client_Push AD account that SMS creates during setup.

Have you configured the Client Push account to use an account which has Domain Administrator priviledges?

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix

Thanks for the responses. This appears to have digressed onto another problem now.

In the console, approximately 30 machines are showing as assigned to site 'RLC' and have the advanced client installed.

I picked a client close to me to see if it was indeed getting the client installed, it was just being reported wrong. I went into the control panel applet and selected system management. In here it displayed that it was assigned to the site 'RLC' and it had features installed/enabled/disabled.

The console still reports as nothing there though??!

Maybe it's too early and I'm reading this wrong. But you say

.....In the console... approx 30 machines showing as assigned.

Checks client, seems ok

The console still reports nothing.

Can you clarify what the new/existing problem is, it's just confused me a little.

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix

Sorry for the confusion. After a bit of fiddling since this post, I got the AD and heartbeat discovery working, and after some changes in the setting, the client started to push out.

I saw some changes in the console to about 30-35 new clients which had been put on the domain recently, in that they registered themselves to the RLC site, and recognised the client as 'advanced'. However, the other clients all remained blank in both these fields.

I picked one of the machines that had a blank site and no client and went to it directly. I checked the control panel applet and it said it was registered to RLC and had the correct site code etc.

All in all, it looks like the client has hit the machine, installed correctly but it's not showing in the console, this happens to be the majority of the 'all systems collection' as well.

I've attached a screenshot so you can hopefully make sense of what I'm trying to convey.

Anything that falls below the MEDI- client, is reported exactly the same as the one below (AH7302)

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7563/smsrd1.jpg
Apart from hostname? Is there any other difference between the machines that seem ok, and the machines that have problems?

hardware/OS differences? ie All machines that are failing are Windows XPsp1 and all the working ones are sp2. Or all the failing machines are Dell Expiron etc.
Environmental differences? Working machines are left on generally, and failing machines all get switched off at night?
Network differences? ie, all failing ones are one a certain subnet, have different gateway, in a different domain?

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back