Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS 2003 Demo Ver. to Licensing Ver.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnt25

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2003
US
Hey Everyone,

I downloaded and installed the 120-day trial version of SMS 2003 in my production environment. After alot of configuration and building, I got everything working great but now I am concerned about the expiration after 120 days.

Does anyone know what the steps are to move from the demo version to the licensed copy of SMS 2003 (including technical migration if necessary)?

Also, does anyone know if the licensing is different for the SMS 2003 Advanced Client for Windows XP embedded?

I greatly appreciate any help you could provide.

THanks so much,
Matt

Matt,
there is no offical way to upgrade from evaluation copy to RTM - you need to re-install :(
The only way would be to contact PSS and they will help you with migration...

Hope this helps !

Cheers,
Chris

Hey Chris,

According to under the Evaluation section, there appears to be a partial workaround when moving from the SMS 2003 demo version to the SMS 2003 licensing version. This would require the SMS 2003 demo version site settings to be migrated using the Site Property tool, reinstallation of the new licensed version (it doesn’t specify where but I assume it would be on the SMS primary site server?) and then restoring the site settings on the licensed version.

The main question is what exactly is meant by ‘site settings’. Does this exclude customized collections, package creations (including programs and advertisements), customized reports, queries and the installation/configuration of the Security Update Inventory Tool?

The other major item I forgot to mention was the SMS Site database. I assume this is not supported when moving to the licensing version? If so, are there any workarounds?

Appreciate any feedback you could provide.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back