Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS 2003 Collection by IP subnet not restricting

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbohanna

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2002
US
For Patch management a consultant helped us set up a collection with 4 subcollections each having a different subnet range. Each month when MSoft releases patches I set each group to run at a certain time to prevent our weekend staff from rebooting when they are working. I see that the IP boundries set in the collections are not accurate, as some systems in completely different subnets are showing up. What is the correct verbage in WQL to set this collection membership?
Here is the general command line that I have been using:
.....and IPSubnets > "10.225.229.0" and IPSubnets < "10.226.60.0" order by Name
(The objective is to only include subnets > 10.225.229.0 and less than 10.226.60.0) We have a large number of subnets so enumerating each would be difficult.
Any advice would be much appreicated! - HB

When you say that you see some systems in completely different subnets are showing up, what kind of systems to you see? Servers/Desktops/Laptops?

If you have a large number of subnets why don't you create your collections based on AD-Site name?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Mostly what I see in the overlapped area are desktops. I do see some laptops that may have roamed but the desktops should be stable. Even with this though, shouldn't the query follow the boundry statement and restrict the collection to only subnets greater than X and less than X+Y?

I'm guessing that collections defined by subnets are not commonly used by the SMS community, but there are advantages for our company based on the large number of subnets we have that change frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back