Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS 2.0 Remote Control Agent 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamiller1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2003
US
I've just installed SMS 2.0\SPK4 on my new Windows 2000 site server. The remote control agent works on some workstations and servers but not on others. When I try to start remote tools on a workstation, it says, remote control agent not found. I've tried updating the site configuration via the Systems Management Icon in the control panel but it fails to update the site configuration for this workstation. The systems that I'm trying to remote control does appear in the collection all systems query.

Hi brother,
Just try to remove the agent from the client then try to install it again, by script or manually...waiting for ur response

With my best wishes

I have exactly this problem too. Since enabling logon scripts and installing via smsls.bat remote control is not working on some machines. I have mixed nt4 and win2k domains in one sms site (sp4). The machines in the nt4 domain all continue to work ok but the ones in 2k domain don't, I just get "Remote Control Agent Not Found". They did work previously when installed manually using smsman.exe. I have of course tried reinstalling manually as well as via smsls.bat but it is still not working. I've checked security/account permissions, nothing is being logged that I can see and prior to attempting remote control I can telnet via port 2701 although using remote.exe it claims that no remote server is running - but wuser32.exe is! If you have managed to resolve it or have any ideas I'd be grateful for any help you can give. Cheers

TAMILLER - It does sound like it might be just a client installation problem if you have some clients working and some others not working. Go to control panel, systems management, components, and make sure that the sms components (especially remote control)have a status of installed. If they do not appear you should delete the client software and reinstall. If the component is there but the status does not indicate an install you could attempt to do a repair on that component.

WENDY - check the same thing. However if I am reading your post correctly you say that your w2k domain does not work. Sounds like a permission issue. Make sure that both domains have the same sms adminstrator account and password.

I have run the remote.exe with nosql switch and it is still the same - so it doesn't appear to be a permission issue and apart from that the sms server is in the w2k domain and all sms accounts are in that domain (ie the one that isn't working). I haven't changed any accounts or permissions and this has only happened since installing via logon scripts - when we installed manually they all worked fine - using those same accounts. I'm totally stumped. The clients appear to be installed ok on all machines and I have tried client re-installs and repairs. I think it must be something more to do with the w2k domain rather than the client machines - as we have w2k workstations on the nt4 domain which all work okay. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Ran into the same problem after an upgrade as well.
Check your Cap server(s) share for a file called "inboxlck.tok".
If it exists, you will need to remove the check box that designates the server as a cap server. Within a half hour most of the files/folders within the CAP share will have dissapeared. Delet the remaining files within the share, (some may still be locked, so you may need to re-boot the server).
Once the files have been cleared, re-instate the server as a CAP server

Just think about this:

Installation of RC-agent is done by installing a service and a few dll's. So sometimes a reboot is required for those changes to take effect !
And concerning the problem described by tamiller concerning the failure of updateing the configuration for the client:
I assume that you are doing this in a TerminalServer-session which won't work as it is not supported....

Cheers,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back