Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMI Workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

telecomwoman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2006
US
Hello

I am trying in install SMI Workbench (for Syposium) on to a few PC's, we already have it installed on at least 10-15 pc's now with no problem. I can install it, but when I try to look at the real time display or reports it gives me a internal error..but if I log in with that user at my desk, it works fine..
I would be happy for any input..

Thanks
Deb

The Classic Client does not load properly on every PC. It often has problems with other applications on the PC as well. It contains some Sybase elements that can conflict with other corporate database applications.

Your best bet is to thoroughly remove the classic client and try a fresh re-load. You will have to follow the documentation (see the Installation and Maintenance Guide for your release) to get the client completely removed. You will have to manually remove Sybase and elements from the system registry. If you follow the documentation, you should have no problem.

If the re-load does not work, then you'll need to look at the other applications on the pc. Compare to the pc's that work. You may want to re-image the non-working pc's with the image from the working pc's.

Hello Telecomwoman,
If your heavy client installation was ok (so, without any errors. Example : Error when popuplate database after the first reboot of the PC), that could be a problem with patches to install.
Do you have the same Patches installed between both PC ?
You can see those patches with PEP Viewer.
For the client 04.01.07, you should have NS040107SU12C, NS040107G015C, ...G016C, ...G017C & ... G018C.

Do the users have permission to write to their local hard drives? If they do not, you will have a problem. There is a small log file that gets written when you run a report or open a realtime display. That may be the difference, if you are logged onto your pc and your domain password has that privilege, while their profiles may not.

Just wanted to add that if the user has Visio on their computer, there will be an issue. Visio and Sybase both use the same operators, to an extent, but Visio can run on any version of sybase, where the version of Sybase that comes with the classic client is specific. If the user has Visio on their machine, the way to do it is to take Visio off their computer, add the classic client, then re-add Visio back on their computer. It works, I have done it many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back