Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMDR report with Smiley face in first column?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotthayes

Technical User
Jul 23, 2003
US
I have a Partener Plus R.4.1 wiht the SMDR connected to my computer and everything is working fine. The other day I was looking at the incomming log and noticed that there was a smiley face Char in the first column where it normally has the I or C. It appears all the normal info follows the smiley face char but does anyone know what may cause this? I am using Hyperterm under Windows 98 Second addition for my logging machine.

The smiley face does actually have an ASCII character code. I'm wondering if there was just a bit of bad data on the line. I seriously doubt the switch sent that.

If it happens on a repeated basis, I'd check the cabling.

Kris

Maybe a call from a satisfied customer??

Pepperz@charter.net

That must be it, I knew I was doing a good job and now I have proof.

The smiley face character is generally caused by signal noise interpreted by the printer as a font request or control code. ASCII 001 and 02 are smileys, so noise probably padded it from a 1 to a smiley.

Be sure to put chokes on the SMDR cable to eliminate or filter external noise. And be sure to wrap the cord at least twice through the choke for maximum suppression. Add one at both ends to protect against strong local RF (like the 50,000 watt clear channel AM station next door to one such SMDR I have at a car lot!).

Thanks, That was a great answer. I will install the chokes today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back