Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMC7404BRA EU connect connect to ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
BE
Hi all,

Recently I bought a SMC7404BRA EU. It's an ADSL-router with a built-in ADSL modem for PSTN-lines and has 4 LAN-ports. Perfect for my home network, but I cannot get it to connect.

The ADSL-link is up, so when I open my browser or another program that tries to use internet the router makes a connection if there is none. In the setup (it's a webbased setup) of the router is a security log and there I can see that the modem sends out PADI packets, but there seems to be no reply from my ISP, or my router does not receive them. This is what is in the log:

01/01/1970 00:00:41 PPPoE send PADI
01/01/1970 00:00:34 PPPoE send PADI
01/01/1970 00:00:29 PPPoE send PADI
01/01/1970 00:00:24 PPPoE send PADI
01/01/1970 00:00:19 PPPoE send PADI
01/01/1970 00:00:19 Dial On Demand(PPPOE)

Anyone any idea where to start on this? Should I make adjustements to VCI/VPI settings?
Any help is welcome!!

Sense.

You might try netmonitor for more details.

OK, I fixed to problem. Still no reply from my ISP but I found some usefull information an a French website about Belgian ISP's. :|
I changed my VCI/VPI settings from 0/35 to 8/36 and and works.

Thank god my ISP replyed so quickly. LOL

Sense.

i have also the smc7404bra and it is not possible to connect with my ISP.
I have a SKYNET account.
i tested the 8/36 settings and they are not working.

The VCI/VPI settings are ISP specific. Call them and ask, or if you know anyone else connected to that ISP see if you can get their modem to display its settings.

If the ISP is using PPoA then it will never work with the modem you purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back