Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMC Router DHCP vs Win2K Server DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulray

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
CA
We are reconfiguring network from an NT4 server p2p with mixed clients to a Win2K AD Local Domain server with a router for external internet. What determines whether to use the Router DHCP abilities over the Win2K DHCP abilities? Also this is a small network with about 10 clients, should I just assign static IP's (less overhead)?
Thanks
Paul

I would use the DHCP from your W2K server.

If your router to the internet is connected directly to your internal network, you are leaving yourself open to hacking, unless there is dome decent firewalling provided by the router.

I would go with DHCP, just for simplicity. Yes, there will be a slightly higher overhead, but you won't be able to notice any delays, until you are up to around 50machines on the network... even then, the difference will be minimal.

I only use static IP's when troubleshooting, as they are a pain in the a$$ to administer. Each time you change a machine, you have to stuff round with all the ip settings. Far easier with DHCP... you just plug the thing in, very minor changes and it is all working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back