Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMBIOS GUID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloDiggs

MIS
Jan 20, 2007
US
Does anyone have a quick script to get the SMBIOS GUID from a Dell server?

Got this from the MS Script Center

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colSMBIOS = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_SystemEnclosure")

For Each objSMBIOS in colSMBIOS
Wscript.Echo "Part Number: " & objSMBIOS.PartNumber
Wscript.Echo "Serial Number: " & objSMBIOS.SerialNumber
Wscript.Echo "Asset Tag: " & objSMBIOS.SMBIOSAssetTag
Next

Hope this helps.

Do you know which one would qualify as the GUID?

You got me, I have never heard of a GUID assigned to a BIOS

Neither had I. What we are doing is creating a computer object in AD prior to adding the computer to the network. Microsoft instructions are the following:

"The GUID/UUID is a unique 32-character number that is supplied by the manufacturer of the computer, and is stored within the system BIOS of the computer. It should be posted on the case of the computer, or on the outside of the box it was shipped in. If not, locate the GUID by unpacking the computer and running the system BIOS configuration utility. The GUID should be stored as part of the system BIOS. Contact your OEM for a Visual Basic® Scripting Language (VBScript) that can be used to prestage newly purchased client computers within Active Directory for use with Remote OS Installation."

Unfortunately, we can't seem to find this magic GUID. I had run through most of what the Scriptomatic had to offer for WMI, and didn't find anythings usefull, which is when I turned here. I found one other artical that mentioned sm_info.exe from Dell, but as of yet, the only download I have found for it is has been for Linux, not Windows.

The closest thing to this would be an asset tag I am guessing. Have you run a cursory check of the Dell BIOS to see if such an animal exists

Have you looked at the universally unique identifier (UUID) value in the Win32_ComputerSystemProduct class? This is the same as the GUID.

(yay! shameless advertising. my side business)

wdoellefeld,

That did it. I was digging through the Scriptomatic today, but didn't really know where to look, but that was just the class I needed. Thanks!

For any interested, here is the script:

Code:
On Error Resume Next

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

arrComputers = Array(".")
For Each strComputer In arrComputers
	Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
	Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystemProduct", "WQL", _
                                          wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)
	For Each objItem In colItems
		WScript.Echo "=========================================="
		WScript.Echo "UUID: " & objItem.UUID
		WScript.Echo "=========================================="
	Next
Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back