Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

smb.conf changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippe

Technical User
Jul 9, 2008
US
I upgraded from 3.04 to 3.26.

The path for .26 was different than .04 so I made my changes in the inetd.conf file .... then copied my old smb.conf file to the new lib directory and refreshed inetd.

Any user that was already connected when I refreshed was still working fine. But I didnt see any users in SWAT.

Another user rebooted their PC and when they tried to map the share, it promted for a userid and password (didnt have to before)

Is there some change in the smb.conf from 3.04 to 3.26?

Hi,

as far as I know you'll have to run the new samba version's "smbpasswd -a" command for all samba users to avoid the password issue ...

But that should be all you'll have to do after upgrading ...

Regards
Thomas

So my next question is ... can I use the old smbpasswd file and move it to the new directory structure?

Thanks,
Z

It MIGHT work :)

I've made the experience that if the difference between the old and the new samba version isn't too great it sometimes works. However some time ago we tried to copy the file from a very early Version 3.0.x to a 3.0.2x and it didn't work. I think there've been some changes in the structure of the file between the two versions or something like that.

On the other hand: It won't do any harm if you just try it out. Make a backup of the new version's smbpasswd file (If it has already been created) your're going to overwrite and copy the old smbpasswd file to the new location.

If you can access all the samba shares with your PC's it worked. If not just copy back the saved file and go on with the "smbpasswd -a" procedure for all samba users ...

Regards
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back