Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smashed laptop screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyshoes

Programmer
Jun 1, 2008
GB
I have a compaq presario cq 50 and a friend accidentally hit the screen with a ball. The laptop seems to be starting ok, hard drive working etc but the scrren is wrecked. Is it possible to put in a new screen? Can I do it myself? Or should i get a new laptop?

Yes you can replace the screen on all laptops, I did it for Dell for a year. It isn't cheap so if it is not under warranty/ if you are not skilled working on computers or with very small screws id say look into a new laptop.

Sure you can replace it, not an easy task though.
There are companies out there that specialize in just screen replacement for roughly $200 give or take, that give an excellent warranty.

Make sure the rest is ok by hooking up to a regular monitor, go from there.

Don't know how old your laptop is, could be time to upgrade

xit

You can definitely buy a new screen and they are not at all difficult to install, especially if they supply instructions or you search for installation instructions on the web.

You can also use an external monitor if you have one (but it's tough to travel with it).

good luck

sam

Replacing a monitor on a laptop usually isn't terribly difficult. There will be several screws to remove on the bottom and back of the machine. You will have to remove the top to expose the screws on the monitor mount/hinges, and probably the keyboard to disconnect the ribbon cable. Depending on the age of the machine in question, definitely consider the cost of a replacement monitor compared to replacing the machine.

When you're standing on the edge of a cliff, a step forward is not progress.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I replaced one once and it was about a 6 to 7. Lots of little screws so you have to keep track of what goes where. Also, you have to be careful with the cable that links the video card to the screen so that you don't smash/crunch it.

Sell your old one on Craig's List - there's always people wanting to buy one for parts or to fix.

Sell your old one on Craig's List

Run DBAN first, use an external monitor if you need to. There are folks who buy junk PCs and milk the hard drives for data.

Tony

Users helping Users...

then again a big hammer is a lot less expensive!!!

[ponder]

CraigsList=free
DBAN=free

Time is all it would cost, and you might earn bus fare from the sale. Also, have you priced big hammers recently??? [smile]

Tony

Users helping Users...

You may have a point there Tony but using a big hammer and the fun it produces ... Priceless!

LOL
Sam

Everybody doesn't have important or sensitive data on their PCs. Paranoid alert!!! Ooooh - they might get my MP3s. Now, if you have compromising pictures of yourself - clean up or smash drive.

Laptop hard drives can be shattered without a big hammer. In fact, a sturdy screwdriver placed on the outside of the hard drive case and hit ONCE SHARPLY with a hammer will shatter the drive like broken glass. Why?? Because the platters are so much thinner than in a desktop drive.

Try it - put the screwdriver where the platters would be not in the center of the drive where the spindle is.

First off, replacing the screen is pretty straight forward if you take your time, and are patient. Being good with small tools is helpful. :) Why would you smash the drive? Purchase a small usb case,and have yourself a second drive for storage if you purchase another laptop. For your cq50 do a search for LP154W01 that is the part number for the display. The last one I bought 49.95 and 10.00 for shipping. That was the first of march. 6 month warranty, and I made 55.00 on the repair, I'm happy, the customer was happy. Total repair time was 25 mins. Or you can also do what a few other suggested and sell it, even with out the HDD, and the broken screen you should be able to get 50-75 for it. I purchase them all the time and repair them to sell on craigs list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back