Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smartviewer problems - CR8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

csirman

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
I have a problem with getting the smartviewer to download to the browser. All I get is a blank, grey screen... but read the following!!

I'm using NT server 4.0 as the Web server. I have two other machines connected to the internal network. One Win98 and one Win2000. All with the same versions of IE5.

The WIN98 machine works perfectly. The WIN2000 machine will not download the viewer.

Same code, same server, same versions of IE, two operating systems.

I will say that I have the 8.5 development version running on the machine and the certificate on the .cab file says it expired in Aug 2000.

Is there a chance that WIN98 does not care, but WIN2000 does? I can hit the site from work on a WIN2000 machine with the same results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you upgrade from version 8?
Do the client machines have internet access?
Are you asked to download viewer first time
a report is run?
Check internet options, settings, view objects
& see if a viewer is listed.

Yes, I upgraded from version 8 to 8.5.

Yes, all the machines have internet access.

On the WIN98 machine, I can delete the viewer and then request a report. The smartview will then download and show the report.

On the WIN2000 machine, the viewer is not listed and when a report is requested, the spot for the viewer is shown and the icon (like for a missing graphic) is present. But that is it. I can view the source and all looks great. Its like it is a permissions problem or something. But it does not give any sort of error.

Just to prove it isn't a permissions problem, have someone with full admin access try to do this on the W2k machine.

Not all security issues result in the system telling you that something went wrong. That's deliberate.

If the person doing the view attempt doesn't have permission to do installations, that would affect it. Check the browser's security settings too.

I have full admin access on all machines.

Here is the interesting part. I've played with the location of the .cab file that is identified in the CODEBASE.

If I leave it at "/viewer/activeXViewer/activexviewer.cab etc." It works on the WIN98 machine just fine, but not on the WIN2K machine.

If I change it to " etc." It works on BOTH!

So for whatever reason, the WIN2K machine will not accept the .cab file from my server, but will from a different server. Therefore, I conclude that I'm still in the same boat. Or is it that my NT4.0 machine will not send it to a WIN2K machine?

Someday, I'll find the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back