Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smart Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrysr

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US
Im confused about smart objects. If I have a photograph in photoshop, and I convert it into a smart object, is it then a vector based photo? If not, and you want to rescale the photo after leaving photoshop does the fact that its a smart object have any advantage in keeping a better resolution?

If we change an images size after leaving photoshop (rescale) and we want to preserve the resolution, is the smart object the best way to acheive this?

...the resolution is maintained in the smart object, and non-destructive when transforming it, exporting to pdf will maintain any vector data...

...as long as it is smart, images will maintain it's structure...

...so best to keep in psd or pdf format wherever possible, other formats will need to flatten the data...

andrew

I usually save in tif format. Tif preserves evrything including layers and smart objects.

...yes, and tif too, but if your a file size worrier stick to psd or pdf, pdf has the advantage of clients being able to view them, quite handy...

andrew

I use tif because my focus is on long term storage. I'm betting tif will be readable longer than PSD or PDF. That may be wrong, but is the main reason I use it. Also, Windows does not show the thumbnail for a PSD or PDF file.

Actually when yer saving as a PSD...
take a look at the dialogue box..
you can 'check' to show the thumbnail in windows.

Actually, I've looked at the dialogue box many times. In fact, in CS2 and probably earlier, the box is checked and greyed out. You can't turn it off. Even though it is checked, Windows XP Pro does not display the thumbnail for PSDs.

Interestingly, it can display raw and other file formats. It's just PSD that cannot be displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back