Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smart Array 431 controller, break mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2002
US
Hi there,

I think that this has been asked before, but I'd like to get an opinion on my "plan of action".

I have a Compaq DL320 server - it's the IDE version, so I had to install a SCSI RAID controller. Anyhow, using the SCSI RAID controller, we have a RAID 1 - a mirror of 2 36 GB SCSI disks.

The OS is NT 4 SP 6a.

The problem is, that I've been told that the Smary Array 431 controller doesn't support external tape devices. Nice to know after I've bought the controller :) So, I now have another RAID card from an older server I can use, which I know has had tape devices connected.

So, I want to try to get the current disks onto the new RAID controller.

I planned to do it like this:

1. Break the mirror, using the Compaq Array Configuration utility.

2. Install new RAID controller card

3. Attach both hard disks

4. Boot into NT 4

5. Use the Compaq Array Configuration Utility to mirror the disks once more.

To me, this seems fairly straight forward. Is there a better way, and is this going to work? I've not broken a mirror, so I'm nervous about losign the data. I have read through the other thread by johnnybb (sorry if I have misspelt the handle..) .. but I still want to ask the question.

Regards
Michelle

You actually may introduce a different issue here...

The driver for the 431 that you are currently using may not be the same as the one your going to need for the older controller that you about to install.

If thats the case the server will likely BLUE SCREEN with Inaccessable Boot Device.

What is the model of Older Smart Array ??

Also with the Smart Array controllers theres no such thing as "break" the mirror

I find myself with the issue below and I cannot seem to fix the problem. Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks

You actually may introduce a different issue here...

The driver for the 431 that you are currently using may not be the same as the one your going to need for the older controller that you about to install.

If thats the case the server will likely BLUE SCREEN with Inaccessable Boot Device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back